TEN TRUTHS TO CLEANING UP AND SANITIZING YOUR ANT’S
(AUTOMATIC NEGATIVE THOUGHTS)
By Rebecca K. Kveton, MA, LPC
March 20, 2020
I am not going to sugar coat it! The world is in a sticky mess. A virus from hell is playing havoc in our lives 1,440 minutes of every single day. I say we have to take charge and yell STOP!
We have to stop the ANT’s, (Automatic Negative Thoughts). Our human shell is being challenged everyday with uncertainty. Most of us have a small amount of emotional heartiness for uncertainty. Not the huge amount we are needing to cope with a rebellious virus that keeps on giving.
Houston, we have a problem. Tolerance is needed to combat uncertainty for 1,440 minutes a day. We are astronauts floating the skies of the unknown. Trying to survive the uncomfortableness in the dark pit of our stomachs. We need skills and steps to become the captain of our thoughts.
Personally, I become empowered with three little words that have an enormous impact on those ANT’s,
“THE TRUTH IS.”.
THE TRUTH IS in front of coping words help to keep us grounded in the here and now.
When you go to the grocery store pick up a package of index cards for writing your Truth Is coping skills. If you can find the index cards on the spiral that is even better. On the spiral helps to keep them together and organized in your purse, pocket, or computer case. Read them three or four times a day at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before turning in for the night. This skill will help you to shift and reframe your ANT’S into rational positive thinking. For this skill to be effective you have to practice it. Your ANT’S were born out of a habit of thinking them over and over. Make your habit a good one.
HERE ARE YOUR
TEN TRUTHS FOR CLEANING UP AND SANITIZING YOUR ANT’S
(AUTOMATIC NEGATIVE THOUGHTS)
1. The Truth is calmness and worry are not compatible.
2. The Truth is every day my ability to tolerate uncertainty is growing stronger.
3. The Truth is uncertainty is uncomfortable, but will not hurt me.
4. The Truth is I am in control of my thoughts and I am choosing the empowering, supportive, encouraging thoughts.
5. The Truth is anxiety consist of ANT’S appearing to be rational but are really bogus manipulators.
6. The Truth is focusing on anxiety and fear gives it control over my feelings and thoughts.
7. The Truth is I am putting my anxiety on a cloud and letting it float away.
8. The Truth is I am in control of my choices and thoughts.
9. The Truth is I choose peace over feeding my anxiety and fear.
10. The Truth is the COVID-19 is temporary.
Edmund J. Bourne, PhD. 2015, The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook. Sixth edition revised.
Distributed in Canada by Raincoast Books
Rebecca K. Kveton, MA, LPC
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN USING MY ARTICLE ON YOUR WEBSITE OR IN YOUR PUBLICATION, BOOK, ETC. PLEASE INCLUDE THIS INFORMATION:
Rebecca K. Kveton, has been in private practice since 1997. She has a Masters degree in Psychology from Houston Baptist University and is a Licensed Professional Counselor. Rebecca has an expertise in treating anxiety with Cognitive Behavior Therapy. For more information visit my website www.rebeccakkveton.com